- As per resolution MSC.409 (97),the following amendment into SOLAS regulation II-2/1 and II-2/10 will enter into force on 1 January 2020
a. A 135-litre minimum capacity foam-type extinguisher is not required in the boiler room of any ship which has domestic boilers of less than 175 kW, and is no longer required for boiler rooms where the boilers are protected by a fixed water-based local application fire-extinguishing system (as required by SOLAS II-2/10.5.6)
b. The above will be applicable for vessel keel laid before 1 January 2020, including those vessel keel laid before 1 July2012.
- The Maritime safety committee at its 98th session invited SOLAS contracting governments to implement the amendments prior to entry into force date.
- In view of above the Bahamas maritime authority has issued information bulletin No. 170 and accepted early implementation of SOLAS regulation II-2/1 and II-2/10.
- Where an owner intends to implement above mentioned requirement, they should get the same verified by the surveyor and on completion; fire control plan is to be suitably amended.
- A copy of flag bulletin is to be kept with statutory certificates onboard for port state control officers or third party inspectors.
- Ship owners / operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Bahamas Maritime authority information bulletin No.170
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.