- Reference is made to our Technical Circular No. 087/2018, dated 5 December 2018 regarding Guidance on the development of ship implementation plan for the consistent implementation of the 0.50% Sulphur limit under MARPOL Annex VI.
- While Ship Implementation Plan (SIP) is not a mandatory requirement, it will assist in identifying any potential fuel related issues that may need to be addressed by the ship in preparation for and when implementing the 0.50% Sulphur limit requirement.
- The Administration of Belize has now issued Merchant Marine Notice – MMN-19-001 (copy attached) strongly recommending ships to develop implementation plans based on the “Guidance on the Development of a Ship Implementation Plan for the Consistent Implementation of the 0.50% Sulphur Limit under MARPOL Annex VI” in accordance with the MEPC.1/Circ.878 of 9 November 2018.
- Administration has informed that Flag State Inspectors during Annual Vessel Inspections and Recognized Organizations while undertaking statutory surveys/audits during 2019 will be verifying if the vessel has implemented this non-mandatory implementation plan or proper actions have been taken when the Global 0.50% m/m Sulphur Limit enters into effect.
- In case, the vessel is found without implementation plan, incomplete implementation plan or without proper actions taken, the same will be notified to the Administration for proper record and further actions, but not as a means of deficiency.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters of Belize flagged vessels are advised to be guided by above.
- IMMARBE Merchant Marine Notice – MMN-19-001, dated 11/01/2019.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.