- The requirement for a maximum sulphur content of 0.5% m/m for marine fuel oil will enter into force on 01 January 2020, which is known as the global 2020 sulphur cap.
- For the purpose of facilitating smooth and consistent implementation of global 2020 sulphur cap, the Paris Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) and Tokyo Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) will carry out a joint information campaign during inspections from 01 January to 31 December 2019.
- The maritime authorities of Paris and Tokyo MoU will start issuing a letter of warning to ships that are found not yet ready for compliance with the relevant requirement so as to increase awareness of ship’s crew and company on the matter and to encourage timely compliance with the new requirements.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
1. Paris MoU on Port State Control
2. Tokyo MoU press release dated 21 December 2018 reg. Early Warning on Global 2020 Sulphur Cap Compliance.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.