- Panama maritime authority has issued new circular MMC- 359 regarding the implementation of ISPS code on board Panamanian flagged vessel engaged on international voyages.
- The earlier issued circulars MMC-145, MMC-207 and MMC -326 will no longer be applicable from 1st April 2018.
- The Salient points of the circular are as follows:
- The company must ensure that company Security Officer (CSO) has “Declaration of the CSO “duly endorsed by the Panama Maritime Authority, prior to carry out the interim, initial, intermediate or renewal verification.
- Vessel registered in to panama flag from January 1st, 2018, must schedule the first SSAS TEST through the use of the new platform, and same will be verified by RSO during the initial verification and from that date onwards, every 12 months the CSO should program the next SSAS test.
- If for a special circumstance the ISPS verification cannot be completed within the window established in the ISPS Code Part A/19.1.1, the company operator must request an ISPS authorization to administration to postpone the ISPS verification prior to the expiration of the interim ISSC or prior to the expiration of due date of intermediate or renewal verifications window.
- The company operator must apply for the Full Term ISSC, after completed the initial or renewal verification, and submit all the requirements of the MMC-205, prior to expiration of the ISSC interim or short term ISSC (when applies).
- The name of the Company Security Officer (CSO) and contact details to be identified in the Ship Security Plan (SSP).
- In case of changes to the CSO and/or the alternate CSO, the Ship Security Plans (SSP) must be amended accordingly to contain the details of the new CSO and/or alternate CSO and must have the Declaration of the CSO duly endorsed by the Panama Maritime Authority (PMA) on board of the vessel.
- Vessel to have updated continuous Synopsis record, in case there is no CSR on board; an observation will be raised by auditor in order for the company operator to request the CSR, according to the (MMC-183).
- Ship owners / operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Panama Merchant Marine Circular MMC-359
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.