- Marine Safety Investigation Unit (MSIU) has published report no. 23 of 2018 (copy attached) on incident of a fatal fall of a stevedore inside cargo hold on one of the Maltese registered Vessel.
- The report aims to establish the circumstances and safety factors of an accident as a basis to make recommendations in order to minimize the risk of such reoccurrences.
- Based on conclusions made in the investigation report shipowners, operators and masters of vessels are advised to follow below recommendations:
- Inspection and maintenance of critical fittings inside or leading to the cargo holds are to be carried out regularly.
- Ensure that cargo hold access hatches and their retaining hooks/pins, cargo hold access ladders, intermediate resting platforms and their safety rails and all associated covers with their retaining hooks/pins are thoroughly inspected and maintained regime applied onboard.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to take note of above and bring the investigation report to the attention of all crew serving onboard, addressing the importance of such fittings, taking into hazards and the related consequences.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.