- The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) has issued Marine Notice 6/2018 dated 12/2018 (copy attached) informing that cruise vessels capable of accommodating more than 100 passengers and berthing in Sydney Harbour are required to limit sulphur emissions by using low sulphur fuel or an alternative measure that achieves an equivalent outcome, specifically:
A. using fuel with a sulphur content not exceeding 0.10% mass per cent concentration (0.10% m/m), or
B. using an exhaust gas cleaning system, certified and approved in accordance with the International Maritime Organization Guidelines for Exhaust Gas Cleaning Systems 2015, or
C. using a power source external to the vessel, or
D. using a combination of any of the above measures.
2. The limit on sulphur emissions is applicable from one hour after the vessel’s arrival at berth until one hour before the vessel’s departure.
3. In the following specific circumstances, where compliance of above can not be met, AMSA will consider on case to case basis:
- unforeseen and uncontrolled mechanical or equipment failure
- the unavailability of compliant fuel
- unexpected delays in departure beyond the reasonable control of the master
- an unscheduled berthing due to an emergency.
- In above circumstances, AMSA must be notified, and should be provided with the following information as soon as practicable:
- details of the circumstances that may result, or have resulted in the vessel being unable to comply
- the likely duration of non-compliance and steps being taken to comply
- the sulphur content of the fuel being used or proposed to be used.
- Ship owners /operators and masters are advised to be guided by the above.
- Marine Notice 6/2018 dated 12/2018 of AMSA
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.