1. European Commission (EC) has issued notice on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom and European Union rules on the monitoring and verification of CO2 emissions from maritime transport.
2. Since 1 February 2020, the United Kingdom has withdrawn from the European Union and has become a “third country”. The Withdrawal Agreement provides for a transition period ending on 31 December 2020.
3. Accordingly, with effect from 1 January 2021, the United Kingdom is treated by EU law as a third country (i.e. not an EU Member State). This means Regulation (EU) 2015/757 on the Monitoring, Reporting and Verification of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) from Maritime Transport will no longer apply to the UK.
4. After the end of the transition period, following will no longer fall under the monitoring and reporting requirements of Regulation (EU) 2015/757:
a. CO2 emissions of ships within ports under the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom;
b. CO2 emissions from voyages from a port of the United Kingdom to the port of a third country, and vice-versa.
5. CO2 emission records collected during 2020 will continue to be verified as they have been previously, with emissions within UK ports and emissions from voyages between the UK and other third countries included in the 2020 record-keeping requirements.
6. Further, The United Kingdom Accreditation Service will cease to be a national accreditation body within the meaning and for the purposes of Regulation (EC) No 765/2008 at the end of the transition period. Accordingly, its accreditation certificates will no longer be valid or recognised in the EU after the end of the transition period.
7. Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.