1. The Maritime Administration of Cyprus vide Circular No. 20/2020 has provided guidelines in respect of compliance to the requirements of 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006, effective 26th December, 2020.
2. The amendments require continuation of Seafarer Employment Agreements and wages while seafarer is held captive on or off the ship as a result of piracy or armed robbery against ships, regardless of the dates in their employment contract.
3. The Administration has advised that the above mentioned requirements already apply on Cyprus flag ships by virtue of the provisions of Part VII of the Protection of Cyprus Ships Against Acts of Piracy and Other Unlawful Acts Law of 2012 (Law 77(I)/2012) . Copy of the unofficial English translation of said Law is to be made available on board for the updating of the crew.
4. The Maritime Labour Certificates and Declarations of Maritime Labour Compliance (DMLC) already issued, will remain valid until they are expired.
5. A copy of circular no. 20/2020 is to be maintained onboard to demonstrate compliance to the requirements of 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006.
6. Ship owners/ operators and masters of Cyprus flagged ships are advised to be guided by above.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.