- DG Shipping, India has issued a maritime security advisory through NT wing Piracy Circular no. 02 of 2019 (copy attached) providing the information related to revision of High-Risk Area in the Indian Ocean.
- High- Risk Area (HRA) with reference to Somalia based piracy reflects the area within Voluntary Reporting Area (VRA); as mentioned in the Best Management Practices to deter Piracy and enhance maritime safety in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea (BMP5), where it is considered that a higher risk of attacks exists and additional security requirements may be necessary.
- The HRA is outlined on maritime security chart Q6099 to ensure that the latest information on current threats is used when planning routes through this region.
- On considering the account of recent shipping industry experience, pirate intent and capability as well as representations received from various organisations, the Round Table of international shipping and associations organizations i.e. BIMCO, International Chamber of Shipping (ICS), INTERCARGO, INTERTANKO and the Oil Companies International Marine Forum (OCIMF) declared the revision of the High-Risk Area.
- The revision of HRA will take effect from 01.05.2019 & the coordinates of the revised HRA are as follows:
Northern Limit: Latitude 15o 00’N
- In the Indian Ocean; a line linking:
From the territorial waters off coast of east Africa at Latitude 05 o 00’S to 050 o 00’E
Then to positions:
Lat: 00 o 00’ N Long: 055 o 00’ E
Lat: 10 o 00’ N Long: 060 o 00’ E
Lat: 14 o 00’ N Long: 060 o 00’ E
Then a bearing 310 o to the territorial waters off the Arabian Peninsula.
- Administration has emphasized that even though the dimensions of HRA has reduced, the threat of piracy in the region has not gone away and ongoing risk assessment, high level of vigilance and compliance with BMP5 in conjunction with ‘Global Counter Piracy Guidance for Companies, Masters and Seafarers’ is essential before entry to, or when operating in, the HRA.
- Ship owners/ operators, CSOs and masters are advised to take note of above information.
- DGS NT Wing Piracy Circular No. 02 of 2019
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.