1. The Directorate General of Shipping, GOI, based on 2016 amendments to Maritime Labour Convention, 2006 in respect of protection of seafarers against shipboard harassment and bullying, has issued M.S.Notice No. 04 of 2020 (copy attached) as an addendum to M.S.Notice No. 16 of 2016.
2. DGS vide M.S.Notice 04 of 2020 has introduced following additional requirements;
a. Sub Para (c) of Para 11 (Health and safety and accident prevention) of Annexure IA (DMLC Part I) of M.S. Notice No.16 of 2016 is amended, requiring shipowners to report incidents involving “harassment and bullying of seafarers onboard ships”; and
b. A new sub Para (g) under Para 11 is added requiring ship-owners to “undertake investigations into the causes and circumstances of all occupational accidents and occupational injuries and diseases resulting in loss of life or serious personal injuries”.
3. In view of above, Shipowners /Managers of Indian flagged ships intending to apply for issuance of DMLC (as per MS Notice 16 of 2016) are advised to ensure incorporation of additional requirements as per M.S.Notice 04 of 2020 in the DMLC Part I and Part II.
4. Also Shipowners /Managers of Indian flagged ships issued with MLC certificates (existing certificates issued as per MS Notice 16 of 2016) are advised as follows;
a. Approach Administration for issuance of revised DMLC Part I and submit revised DMLC Part II with Administration for review and approval.
b. Approved original copies of revised DMLC Part I and DMLC Part II are to be placed onboard.
c. Offer respective vessels for MLC Additional inspection (or scheduled Intermediate / Renewal MLC inspection if within the window period) for onboard verification / certification of revised DMLC Part II.
d. Upon satisfactory completion of additional inspection as above, an amended MLC certificate will be issued.
5. Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above and ensure compliance.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.