1. The Maritime Administration of Gabon vide Marine Circular 21/2021 has provided guidelines in respect of implementation of 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006 effective 26th December, 2020.
2. The amendments require continuation of Seafarer Employment Agreements (SEA), wages and other entitlements under SEA while seafarer is held captive on or off the ship as a result of piracy or armed robbery against ships, regardless of the dates in their employment contract.
3. Accordingly, shipowners are required to ensure that SEA and/or any applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs) that are signed on or after 26th December 2020 incorporates the 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006.
4. The amendments do not immediately affect the validity of ML Certificates or DMLC Part I already issued to the existing Gabon flagged ships. Existing MLC Certificates and DMLC issued shall remain valid until first Initial/Renewal MLC inspection on or after 26th December 2020. Prior to the initial/renewal inspection, shipowners /managers are required to obtain new DMLC Part I from Gabon Administration (the new DMLC Part I will include the applicable requirements of the 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006) and accordingly update the DMLC Part II to incorporate new requirements which is to be submitted to a Gabon approved RO for review and approval. The approved original copies of new DMLC Part I and updated DMLC Part II are to be placed onboard prior to conduct of initial/renewal MLC Inspection conducted post 26th December, 2020.
5.Vessels changing flag to Gabon on or after 26 December 2020 are to obtain new DMLC Part I from Gabon Administration (the new DMLC Part I will include the applicable requirements of the 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006) and complete the DMLC Part II which is to be submitted to a Gabon approved RO for review and approval.
6. Ship owners/ operators and masters of Gabon flagged ships are advised to be guided by above
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.