1. Multiple sensors measured outside the tolerances established by the manufacturer and subsequent calibration checks failed. Crew members were not following established procedures as specified in their Safety Management System (SMS).
2. The span gas used to test sensors or complete calibration checks was not appropriate for the type of sensor being tested.
1. Testing and calibration of fixed gas detection systems are completed per the vessel’s SMS and manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Sensors are operating within established parameters as required by a vessel’s procedures and manufacturer’s instructions.
3. The appropriate span gas for the type of sensor is correctly applied to the sensor, as established by the manufacturer and vessel’s SMS.
4. The crewmembers responsible for maintaining the gas detection system have adequate training, are fully knowledgeable of the system, and are proficient in conducting system tests.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.