1. The Liberian Administration has accepted Iridium as a recognized Maritime Mobile Satellite Service (MMSS) for providing GMDSS services and the dissemination of MSI. Accordingly, approved Iridium GMDSS terminals may be installed on Liberian flagged vessels for compliance with the applicable requirements of SOLAS Chapter IV regarding GMDSS and MSI.
2. In this regard, the Liberian Marine Advisory No. 02 of 2022 provides following guidance on the activation and registration of Iridium terminals on Liberian flagged vessels;
A. Activation and Registration of Iridium Terminals:
a. Iridium has designated several communication companies around the world as their designated GMDSS service providers. In turn the Liberian Administration has recognized some of the Iridium GMDSS service providers for activation of Iridium terminals on Liberia flagged vessels on behalf of the Administration.
b. Iridium GMDSS terminals installed on Liberian flagged vessels must be activated, and when appropriate deactivated, by one of the Iridium GMDSS service providers recognized by the Administration. A list of the Iridium GMDSS service providers recognized by the Administration can be found at (https://www.liscr.com/iridium-services).
c. Any Iridium terminal installed on board a Liberian flag ship must be reported to the Administration in accordance with international telecommunication rules (ITU) for amendment of the vessel’s radio station license, for verification of compliance with SOLAS Chapter IV requirements, and inclusion in the Administration’s communication database.
d. To this end the recognized Iridium GMDSS service provider will forward to the Administration the Iridium GMDSS terminal information needed for registration of the terminal in the Administration’s communication database, for amendment of the vessel’s radio station license to indicate Iridium as the ship earth station and GMDSS terminal(s), for inclusion of the terminal information in the ITU Report, and for updating the COSPAS-SARSAT database, as appropriate.
e. The Administration will issue the vessel an amended Ship Radio Station License as appropriate to indicate the activation of Iridium GMDSS terminals.
B. Operations in Sea Area 4:
a. For vessels operating in Sea Area 4, the Liberian Administration will accept the activation of an Iridium GMDSS terminals on board the vessel as meeting the requirement for duplication of services provided a MF/HF installation with DSC and NBDP is used as the main station and the vessel has another recognized mobile satellite service ship earth station as required by SOLAS IV/10.1.1.
b. The second recognized mobile satellite service ship earth station as required by SOLAS IV/10.1.1 could be a second Iridium terminal, an Inmarsat terminal, or another mobile satellite service terminal if such are approved by IMO in the future for GMDSS.
3. Ship owners and operators are advised to be guided by the aforementioned guidance for activating Iridium GMDSS terminals on Liberian flagged vessels.
4. Further, the ship owners and operators should specifically note the following:
5. This Technical Circular supersedes and revokes earlier Technical Circular No. 025/2021, dated 11th May 2021.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.