1. Non transmission of position by some Long-Range Identification and Tracking (LRIT) units have been reported due to GPS rollover which took place on 25 March 2023. This may have an impact on the Ship Security Alert System (SSAS) as well, if linked to the same terminal.
2. The reason for this malfunction is that the LRIT equipment has not been upgraded. Specifically, the LRIT model TT-3026X, which utilizes a GPS module from the manufacturer Garmin, has proven unable to manage the GPS rollover, causing glitches in the date/time stamp. The product has been declared end of service and there are no longer any software updates available. The only way to resolve the issue is to replace the terminal.
3. In view of above, Danish Maritime Authority (DMA) has advised ship Owners/ managers to check the LRIT unit fitted onboard their ships. In case of malfunction, Recognized Organization is to be contacted along with proposal for replacement of faulty unit.
4. In case of unforeseen extraordinary circumstances, preventing the exchange of equipment, the Administration is to be notified and presented with an action plan for rectification of the LRIT unit.
5. Owners/operators and masters are advised to be guided by above and ensure compliance.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.