1. Maritime Administration of Malta has issued Information Notice 41 containing an Investigation Report No. 21/2021 highlighting the potential safety hazards associated with container fires.
2. The investigation report draws particular attention to the importance of using a water mist lance when extinguishing container fires on-board vessels. A water mist lance consists of a tube with a nozzle capable of penetrating a container wall and producing a water mist inside the container when connected to the fire main. This equipment can easily be carried, mounted, operated by a single person and on various occasions has shown to offer fast firefighting response time.
3. As per SOLAS Chapter II-2, Regulation 10.7.3 as amended, such equipment is required on board vessels designed to carry containers on or above the weather deck constructed on or after 01 January 2016.
4. Notwithstanding the above mandatory requirement for new vessels, the Administration has recommended that at least one water mist lance with the same specifications as prescribed in the SOLAS Convention be also carried on-board vessels designed to carry containers on or above the weather deck constructed before 01 January 2016.
5. Ship owners, managers and masters of vessels designed to carry containers on or above the weather deck are advised to be guided by above and follow the recommendations contained in the report.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.