1. The Maritime Administration of Marshall Islands vide Marine Safety Advisory No. 28-20 has provided guidelines for Marshall Islands flagged ships in respect of implementation of 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006 effective 26th December, 2020.
2. The amendments require continuation of Seafarer Employment Agreements and wages while seafarer is held captive on or off the ship as a result of piracy or armed robbery against ships, regardless of the dates in their employment contract.
3. Accordingly, shipowners are required to ensure that SEA and/or any applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs) that are signed on or after 26th December 2020 covers the 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006.
4. Declaration of Maritime Labour Compliance (DMLC) and Maritime Labour Convention Certificate (ML Certificate) for existing ships:
No new DMLC Part I will be issued due to these amendments.
DMLC Part II amendments, if any, do not require submission to the Recognized Organizations (ROs) at this time. ROs will be confirming compliance with the new requirements during their next scheduled MLC, 2006 inspections on or after 26th December, 2020.
5. Ship owners/ operators and masters of Marshall Islands flagged ships are advised to be guided by above.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.