1. The Maritime Administration of Mauritius vide M.S. Notice Ref 23 of 2020 has provided guidelines in respect of implementation of 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006 effective 26th December, 2020.
2. The amendments require continuation of Seafarer Employment Agreements (SEA), wages and other entitlements under SEA while seafarer is held captive on or off the ship as a result of piracy or armed robbery against ships, regardless of the dates in their employment contract.
3. Accordingly, shipowners are required to ensure that SEA and/or any applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs) that are signed on or after 26th December 2020 incorporates the 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006.
4. The amendments do not immediately affect the validity of ML Certificates or DMLC Part I already issued to the existing Mauritius ships. Existing MLC Certificates and DMLC issued shall remain valid until first Renewal MLC inspection on or after 26th December 2020. Prior to the renewal inspection, shipowners /managers are required to obtain new DMLC Part I from Mauritius Administration (the new DMLC Part I will include the applicable requirements of the 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006) and accordingly update the DMLC Part II to incorporate new requirements which is to be submitted to the appropriate Recognized Organization for approval. The approved original copies of new DMLC Part I and updated DMLC Part II are to be placed onboard prior to conduct of Renewal MLC Inspection conducted post 26th December, 2020.
5. Ship owners/ operators and masters of Mauritius flagged ships are advised to be guided by above.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.