1. The Panama Maritime Authority vide Merchant Marine Notice, MMN-20/2020 has provided guidelines in respect of implementation of 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006 effective 26th December, 2020.
2. The amendments require continuation of Seafarer Employment Agreements (SEA), wages and other entitlements under SEA while seafarer is held captive on or off the ship as a result of piracy or armed robbery against ships, regardless of the dates in their employment contract.
3. Accordingly, from December 26, 2020 the shipowners/ Operators are required to ensure that a seafarer’s employment agreement continue to remain in effect when seafarer are held captive on or off the ship as a result of acts of piracy or armed robbery against ships, regardless of whether the date fixed for its expiry has passed or either party has given notice to suspend or terminate it.
4. The amendments do not affect the Declaration of Maritime Labour Compliance (DMLC), Part I & II and Maritime Labour Convention Certificate.
5. Verification towards compliance with the 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006 will be done during the next scheduled MLC, 2006 inspections (interim, initial, intermediate, renewal) on or after 26th December, 2020.
6. Ship owners/ operators and masters of Panama flagged ships are advised to be guided by above.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.