1. The Maritime Administration of Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI) vide Marine Safety Advisory No. 03 of 2023 has informed regarding a marine casualty involving failure of rescue boat lifting arrangement that resulted in the injury of two crew members.
2. The incident happened during a planned drill. The ship’s rescue boat was being lowered to the water with two crew members aboard when the release hook support post failed. The rescue boat and two crew members fell about 9 meters to the water.
3. Immediately prior to the incident, the rescue boat had been hoisted, swung over the side, and lowered several meters without anyone onboard.
4. During the investigation, it was found that significant deterioration of the lower end of the support post for the release hook had occurred due to corrosion. The lower side of the release hook support post was below the deck and only visible following removal of a portable fuel tank.
5. The Jiangyin Wolong model “JY40KR” rescue boat involved in this incident was manufactured in 2008. No defects or issues were noted when the boat was tested in 2019 and in November 2022 during the last annual inspection.
6. Based on above investigation, RMI Administration has recommended following:
a. Owners, operators, and Masters of vessels fitted with Jiangyin Wolong “JY40KR” rescue boats to thoroughly inspect the release hook and entire support post, including mounting hardware, for signs of deterioration.
b. Additionally, ensure that monthly inspections of life-saving appliances include thorough inspections of lifting arrangements for all onboard lifeboats and rescue boats with specific emphasis on hidden or hard to access components.
7. Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.