1. The Maritime Administration of St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) vide Circular No. MLC 011 has provided guidelines for SVG flagged ships in respect of implementation of 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006 effective 26th December, 2020.
2. The amendments require continuation of Seafarer Employment Agreements and wages while seafarer is held captive on or off the ship as a result of piracy or armed robbery against ships, regardless of the dates in their employment contract.
3. Accordingly, shipowners are required to review their policies and procedures and SEAs and/or any applicable collective bargaining agreements (CBAs) to ensure compliance with the above amendments on 26th December 2020.
4. Declaration of Maritime Labour Compliance (DMLC) and Maritime Labour Convention Certificate (ML Certificate) for existing ships:
The amendments do not immediately affect the validity of ML Certificates or DMLC Part I already issued to the existing SVG ships.
Existing ML Certificates and DMLC issued by SVG Administration will remain valid until first Initial / Renewal MLC inspection on or after 26th December 2020. Prior to the initial/renewal inspection, shipowner to request a new DMLC Part I. The new DMLC Part I will include the applicable requirements of the 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006. The relevant application form is available on the web portal of Administration.
The owners to complete DMLC Part II and forward it to a Recognized Organization (RO) for review and subsequent approval. The amended DMLC Part II should reflect compliance with the MLC 2018 amendments.
5. Declaration of Maritime Labour Compliance (DMLC) and Maritime Labour Convention Certificate (ML Certificate) for joining ships :
Ships joining the registry on or after 26th December 2020 should request the DMLC Part I from SVG Administration. The DMLC Part I will include the applicable requirements of the 2018 amendments to MLC, 2006. The shipowner to complete DMLC II and forward it to a Recognized Organization (RO) for review and subsequent approval.
6. Shipowners to keep a copy of this Circular on board in order to notify PSC authorities on the measures accepted by the Administration with respect of MLC 2018 amendments.
7. Ship owners/ operators and masters of SVG flagged ships are advised to be guided by above.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.