- Bahamas Maritime Authority (BMA) has revised information bulletin no. 06 regarding GMDSS- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB).
- The database for the EPIRBs fitted on Bahamian flagged vessels is currently maintained by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
- The information for each vessel includes name and contact details of company, vessel’s call sign and MMSI number and EPIRB number.
- For new registration or amending existing EPIRB details, Company is required to inform administration on any changes in the information held on EPIRB register, so that database is amended accordingly.
- In such cases, a Radio License Application form (R108) along with new EPIRB details and applicable fee $150 (as per information bulletin no.81) is to be forwarded to Registration Department by the company.
- On receipt of above, a New Radio License Certificate with new EPIRB details will be issued by Administration and ITU database will be updated.
- In addition to above instructions for registration of EPIRB; administration has provided details of warning from Cospas-Sarsat on use on non approved batteries in EPIRBs.
- Cospas-Sarsat found that certain aftermarket replacement battery packs for EPIRB which often look very similar to OEM provided batteries but not approved by the beacon manufacturer are of substandard quality and may result in functional failure of beacon in distress situation.
- In view of above warning, administration has recommended companies to take precautions while procuring replacement battery packs for EPIRBs and similar equipment.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Bahamas maritime Authority information Bulletin no. 06
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.