- United States Coast Guard (USCG) has initiated a concentrated inspection campaign (CIC) for all S. flag vessels fitted with open lifeboats. The inspection campaign will run from 02 May 2018 till 01 May 2019.
- Though the CIC is for U.S. flagged vessels, Owners and managers of vessels from other flags and fitted with open lifeboats are advised to be guided by the attached Press Release and Questionnaire for CIC and prepare for possible similar inspections by PSC.
- Following are non-exhaustive list of items that may be verified/ inspected.
- Life boats are maintained in accordance with SOLAS III/20, 46 CFR 199.190, and/or MSC.1/Circ.1206/Rev.1 (Measures to prevent accidents with lifeboats);
- Lifeboat drills (including lowering, release, and maneuvering) are conducted properly and documented in accordance with the Company’s SMS, SOLAS III/19 or 46 CFR 199.180, as applicable;
- Each lifeboat engine is run ahead and astern for a total of not less than 3 minutes unless the ambient temperature is below the minimum temperature required for starting the engine;
- The propulsion gear box and gear box train are engaging satisfactorily (including Fleming Gear);
- The crew is able to launch the lifeboat;
- The crew is able to demonstrate proper operation of the lifeboat in the water;
- The crew is able to recover and cradle the lifeboat.
- The lifeboats are maintained in good working order and ready for immediate use.
- Press Release and Questionnaire for CIC by USCG dated 05/02/2018.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.