- The Liberia Maritime Authority has issued Marine Advisory No. 2/2017 providing information on the requirements and regulations of the Panama Canal SOPEP (PCSOPEP), which became effective January 1, 2005.
- The PCSOPEP is a program that seeks to implement emergency preparedness strategies for Panama Canal Waters. It aids the Panama Canal Authority (ACP) in minimizing consequences of spills and emergencies by safeguarding life, reducing the impact on the environment and ensuring the continuous operation of the Canal.
- The PCSOPEP program requirements apply to toll-paying vessels that transit the Panama Canal with a 400 Metric Ton (MT) or more carrying capacity of oil as cargo and/or fuel, but do not apply to local call vessels not scheduled for transit.
- ACP acts as the sole Oil Spill Response Organization (OSRO) for all vessels irrespective of the flag, in transit or awaiting transit of the Panama Canal.
- PCSOPEP requires that an Authorized Person be designated in the plan to act as a liaison between the vessel and the ACP to obtain and consign, on behalf of the vessel, acceptable guarantees, to the satisfaction of ACP, to cover the cost of the responses and cleanup of oil spills in Canal waters.
- The Authorized Person to comply with the following (but are not limited to):
- Reside in the Republic of Panama
- Be fluent in either English or Spanish
- Understand the vessel’s PCSOPEP
- Act as a liaison with the ACP.
- PCSOPEP for a Liberian flagged vessel may be developed by an organization or individual experienced in pollution prevention and response. However, Liberian Administration recommends the use of SeaNet, a company having qualified personnel with vast experience in the maritime sector that can act as the PCSOPEP Authorized Person.
- Ship owners / operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- The Republic of Liberia Marine Advisory 2/2017.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person.
While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.