- The IMO assembly in its 30th session has adopted resolution A.1116(30) regarding Escape Route Signs and Equipment Location Markings. The resolution harmonizes the requirement of SOLAS regulations II-2/13, II-2/15, III/9, III/11, III/20 taking into account the ISO standard 24409 on ‘Design, location and use of shipboard safety signs, safety related signs, safety notices and safety markings’.
- These signs and markings are applicable to ships constructed on or after 1 January 2019 and existing ships undergoing repairs, alterations, modifications and outfitting within the scope of SOLAS chapter II-2 and/or III as applicable, on or after 1 January 2019.
- The equipment markings are primarily signage for fire control equipment and systems, lifesaving equipment and fire-fighting equipment. The amendments also contain symbols for signs which are originally intended for safety plans and escape route plans.
- All interested parties are requested to refer attached IMO resolution for details and ensure that while preparing fire control plans new resolution is used in conjunction with resolution A.952(23) on Graphical symbols for fire control plans.
- IMO Resolution A.1116(30)
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.