- International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) had revised its ECDIS standards with an implementation date of 1 September 2017whereby IHO Presentation Library edition 3.4 in use on existing ECDIS was required to be upgraded to the IHO Presentation Library edition 4.0 by 31 August2017.
- However, it has been noted that many ECDIS manufacturers have not been able to provide the required updates by 31 August 2017.
- In view of above, the Sub-Committee on Implementation of IMO Instruments (III) at its fourth session (25 to 29 September 2017) has expressed concern and vide IMO Circular III.2/Circ (copy attached) has advised that:
- Port State Control Officers (PSCOs) inspecting ships carrying ECDIS that have not been updated as per SOLAS Chapter V, owing to the lack of availability of required updates from the manufacturer, should take a pragmatic and practical approach, and in doing so;
- PSCOs should check whether relevant documentation have been issued by flag state; and
- In the absence of flag state documentation, the PSCOs should consult with flag state accordingly.
- Ship Owners/ managers and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- IMO circular III.2/Circ.2 dated 02 October 2017.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.