- Ref is made to our Technical Circular No. 010/2016 reg “Guidance on the validity of Radio Communication Equipment installed and used on ships” dated 29th April 2016.
- The world Radio Communication Conference 2012 made changes to appendices 17and 18 of the Radio Regulations. Certain frequencies and channelling arrangements for the maritime HF and VHF bands as contained in appendices 17 and 18 of the Radio Regulations were revised. Due to these changes, the use of frequencies that would be used by services such as Port Operations and VTS will get affected.
- Accordingly, to ensure GMDSS communication capability, HF radio communication equipment capable of operating narrow-band direct printing (NBDP) were required to be updated (or replaced) so that following the first radio survey after 1st January 2017 it meets with the channelling arrangements reflected in sections II and III of part B in appendix 17 of the Radio Regulation.
- However, with the intention of avoiding any unnecessary updates of HF radio communication equipment that is already capable of operating NBDP, the Maritime Safety Committee at its ninety-seventh session, agreed to amend the date from 1 January 2017 to 1 January 2024.
- Ship owners / operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Vincent and the Grenadines Marine Circular No. SOL 065 – Rev.1
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person.
While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.