- Commonwealth of Dominica Maritime Administration (DMA) has issued Marine Safety Circular CD-MSC 01-17 Rev01 dated 05/01/2016 (see enclosed) to inform regarding the requirements and compliance with respect to the 2014 amendments to the Maritime Labour Convention, 2006.
- From 18th January 2017, all Dominica-flagged vessels, except Pleasure Yachts should at all times, maintain on board evidence of:
a. Financial security (P&I Club or other insurer) – Standard A2.5.2 – Shipowner liability in cases of abandonment.
b. Financial security (P&I Club or other insurer) – Standard A4.2.1 – Treatment of Contractual Claims-death and long-term disability.
- Where more than one financial security provider supplies cover, the documents provided by each provider must be carried on board.
- Mobile Offshore Units “MOUs” that self-insure must document the nature, amount, and security of the liability reserve in lieu of an attestation from the financial security provider as required above.
- A copy of the certificates or documentary evidence must be posted in a conspicuous place on board the vessel where it is available to the seafarers.
- A copy of the certificates or documentary evidence must be forwarded by the shipowner to the Administrator at: email@example.com. MOU operators opting to self-insure may provide the required documentary evidence directly to the DMA via a certified letter.
- Shipowners of existing Dominica-flagged vessels will need to request a new DMLC Part I from the Administrator and amend their DMLC Part II accordingly. This must be done by the initial or first renewal inspection after 18 January 2017. This may also be accomplished earlier on a voluntary basis.
- The Administrator will issue the updated DMLC Part I to all newbuild vessels and vessels transferring into the Dominica flag beginning 18 January 2017, as part of the certification procedure.
- A MLC Certificate and DMLC consisting of the DMLC Part I and DMLC Part II must be issued or renewed so as to comply with the requirements of the Convention, as amended, no later than the date of the first renewal inspection following 18 January 2017.
- An existing MLC Certificate and DMLC, will be valid until the first renewal inspection following 18 January 2017.
- Marine Safety Circular CD-MSC 01-17 Rev01 dated 05/01/2016.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person.
While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.