- Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI) has issued a Ship Security Advisory no.05-17 (copy attached) providing conditions of entry for vessels arriving at US ports from certain countries which do not maintain effective anti-terrorism measures.
- In addition to previously determined ports in certain countries that are not maintaining effective anti-terrorism measures; USCG now added Nauru in the list of affected countries and imposed condition of entry for vessels that are arriving in United States upon on or after 14 April 2017 after visiting ports in the affected countries as one of their last five ports of call.
- Below actions are required to be taken by such vessels as a condition of entry to US ports:
- Implement measures per the ship’s security plan equivalent to Security Level 2;
- Ensure that each access point to the ship is guarded and that the guards have total visibility of the exterior (both landside and waterside) of the vessel. Guards may be:
- provided by the ship’s crew, however, additional crewmembers should be placed on the ship if necessary to ensure that limits on maximum hours of work are not exceeded and/or minimum hours of rest are met, or
- provided by outside security forces approved by the ship’s master and Company Security Officer
- Attempt to execute a Declaration of Security;
- Log all security actions in the ship’s security records; and
- Report actions taken to the cognizant U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port prior to arrival in the U.S.
- Vessels will be boarded or examined by Coast Guard to ensure that all actions mentioned above are complied and short coming on above may result in delay or denial of entry into United States.
- Vessels demonstrating good security compliance with necessary mentioned actions will be normally waived from the armed security guard requirement.
- In the view of above, administration has advised all RMI flagged vessels to follow the guidance provided on administration’s Maritime Security Webpage.
- Also all ships submitting Advance Notice of Arrival with the US are required to copy administration via email at NOA@register-iri.com
- Ship owners/ operators are advised to be guided by above.
- RMI Ship Security Advisory No. 05-17
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person.
While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.