- Reference is made to our Technical Circular No. 006/2016, dated 17th March 2016. Barbados Maritime Administration has now issued Information Bulletin No. 268 (copy attached) informing that the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) has revised its ECDIS standards with an implementation date of 1 September 2017.
- In view of above, the current IHO Presentation Library edition 3.4 in use on existing ECDIS must be upgraded to the IHO Presentation Library edition 4.0 by 31st August 2017.
- ECDIS software not updated to the latest version of IHO Standards may not meet the chart carriage requirements as set out in SOLAS regulation V/126.96.36.199.
- The latest IHO Presentation Library (version 4.0) addresses the issue of frequent audible alarm by ECDIS. By providing clear guidance to ECDIS manufacturers on ENC objects that will raise an alarm, the IHO has tackled the issue of alarm fatigue on the bridge. Also, information such as fairway and anchorage area names will now appear on screen, with landmarks, lights and buoys viewable via a “hover-over” function.
- Ship owners / managers are advised to contact their ECDIS manufacturer to start the transition to the updated ECDIS standards, in order to ensure a smooth switchover.
- The upgrade requirements will vary between different ECDIS makes and models, so it is important that owners / managers work together with their ECDIS manufacturers to identify the steps that need to be taken for all ECDIS systems across their fleet.
- Barbados Maritime Information Bulletin No. 268.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person.
While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.