- Republic of Mauritius has issued Merchant shipping Notice 1 of 2017, in order to provide instructions on implementation of BWM convention which will come into force from 8th September 2017.
- As Administration has not yet ratified the convention, Statement of Compliance will be issued after completion of survey for BWM convention.
- Existing ships are required to comply with requirement of Regulation D-2 (the ballast water performance standard) no later than the first IOPP renewal survey after 08 September 2017; till then vessels are required to comply with regulation D-1 (ballast water exchange) of the Convention.
- Ships with keel laying date on or after the 08 September 2017 are required to comply with regulation D-2 upon delivery.
- In order to provide enough time to Mauritian Flagged vessels for complying with the regulation D-2 requirements; the Administration has agreed the de-harmonization of IOPP certificate from all other statutory certificates on case-by-case basis and same is to be completed prior to 08 September 2017.
- However, Administration has reminded ship owners to re-harmonize the IOPP surveys and certificate into HSSC as soon as possible after the ship meets the regulation D-2 discharge standard for ballast water.
- Mauritian flagged vessel owners intended to de-harmonize IOPP renewal survey are requested to apply to administration at below address and obtain the permission:
Director of Shipping
Ministry of Ocean Economy, Marine Resources, Fisheries and Shipping
3rd Floor, Ken Lee Building
Edith Cavell Street
Republic of Mauritius
Phone: +230 2136027
Fax: +230 2137013
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Republic of Mauritius Merchant Shipping Notice Ref. 1 of 2017.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person.
While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.