- The Tuvalu flag Administration vide marine circular MC-5/2018/1 dated 12/2018 (copy attached) has informed approval of VIKING Life raft TYPE S30 for Extended service intervals.
- The above approval for the extended servicing intervals is subject to following conditions:
- Passenger ships equipped with life rafts specially packed as above shall comply with SOLAS 74/88 as amended, Chapter III, Regulation 19.4.3 by carrying onboard, or having ready access to a conventionally packed training life raft of similar type and means of operation, or by carrying a visual training aid which can simulate inflation and davit launching of such life rafts.
- Monitoring onboard shall be carried out by certified personnel. Humidity level and possible CO2 leakages shall be check based on instructions provided for by the manufacturer. All readings shall be recorded and kept onboard with the life raft servicing certificate for documentation and inspection purpose.
- All servicing test stipulated in IMO Resolution A.761(18) which would have been carried out during the period of extended service interval shall be carried out by the service station at the next service after the nominal “due date” of that test.
- During servicing, a new packing material of the hermetically sealed pouch within the GRP outer container shall be used, in cases where there are signs of degradation as a result of environmental influences, abrasion or other wear and tear that will adversely affect the quality, purpose and lifespan of the packing material.
- In the event, if the seal verification inspection reveals a loss of hermetic seal for any reason, the life raft shall be serviced and repacked within three (3) months, or thirty (30) months servicing and re-packing time limit from the date of the last service, whichever is earlier.
- As long as the hermetic seal has not been compromised, the thirty (30) month service intervals shall apply. Hermetic seal verification shall be performed at a maximum interval not exceeding twelve (12) months from the date of the last service. This shall be done by inspection personnel onboard the ship in accordance with the manufacturer’s instruction for onboard inspection.
- Servicing is to be carried out at a maximum interval not exceeding thirty (30) months, only at approved servicing stations which have additionally been appointed for this purpose by Viking Life-Saving Equipment A/S.
- In addition to all other required marks, the outer GRP container of specially packed S30 life rafts within the extended servicing scheme shall carry the following label:
1. This life raft is permitted for extended service intervals of 30 months at an approved servicing station.
2. The life rafts must be inspected onboard by a person certified for such purpose by VIKING Life-Saving Equipment A/S at intervals not exceeding 12 months.
- Ship owners /operators and masters are advised to be guided by the above.
Marine Circular MC-5/2018/1 dated 12/2018 of Tuvalu
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.