- The Under Keel Clearance Management (UKCM) system is operational since 2011 and is applicable to all coastal pilots transiting ships with draughts of at least 8 m through the Prince of Wales Channel, the Gannet Passage and the Varzin Passage in the Great Barrier Reef Passage.
- AMSA has issued Marine Notice 3/2016 (copy attached) informing UKCM system is extended to cover Torres Strait as well.
- Masters of vessels transiting in above areas are required to provide accurate stability and draught data to coastal pilots in a timely manner. The UKCM system uses these data and provides the best possible under keel clearance information, updated in real time and assist in the planning and safe conduct of vessel transits.
- Further technical and explanatory information regarding UKCM system is available on AMSA website at www.amsa.gov.au/navigation/services/ukcm
- Ship Owners/operators are advised to bring above to the notice of ship Masters for compliance while transiting above passage.
Enclosure: AMSA Marine Notice No. 03/2016 Reg. UKCM in Torres Strait.