- SOLAS Ch. V/Reg. 19 provides requirements for Shipborne navigational equipment and systems including requirements for Automatic Identification System (AIS).
- All ships of 300 gross tonnage and upwards engaged on international voyages and cargo ships of 500 gross tonnage and upwards not engaged on international voyages and passenger ships irrespective of size are required to be fitted with an automatic identification system (AIS).
- In order to protect the environment and marine resources and to enhance search & rescue operations, Federal Transport Authority-Land & Maritime (FTA) of UAE administration has issued circular no (5) 2018 reg. mandatory installation and operation of the Automatic Identification System (AIS).
- While calling UAE ports or sailing/anchoring in UAE territorial water or Exclusive Economic Zone; all foreign flag commercial ships regardless of their size and type, including wooden vessels and vessels less than 300 GT are required to have onboard AIS installed and kept on the operational mode.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Federal Transport Authority-Land & Maritime (FTA) circular no (5) 2018 on mandatory installation and operation of the automatic identification system (AIS)
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.