- The Bahamas Maritime Authority has issued Technical Alert No. 16-38 (copy attached) highlighting a manufacturing defect identified on one of Hyundai Lifeboat “TALON II 4.0” on load release hooks.
- It was noted that the position indicator markings for the hydrostatic interlock were incorrectly marked with the red and green sectors being reversed as shown in below pictures.
Picture 1 – As per Makers Manual
Position indicator reversed
Picture 2 – As found on board
- The LSA code states “If colour coding is used, green shall indicate a properly reset hook and red shall indicate danger of improper or incorrect setting”. In this case the improper marking could potentially have led to improper resetting or operation of the on load release system.
- Investigation by the Bahamas Maritime Authority in consultation with the ship owners, type approval body and manufacturer, has identified that the incorrect marking of the interlock position indicator markings occurred during manufacturer of the on load release system.
- It was also noted that clear operating instructions were not posted inside the lifeboat at or near the release mechanism as required by paragraph 220.127.116.11.11 of the LSA Code.
- In view of above, ship owners/ managers and masters are advised :
- To inspect the hydrostatic interlock position indicator markings on the release mechanisms installed on their lifeboats and especially lifeboats fitted with Hyundai TALON II 4.0 or 9.0 on load release hooks, to ensure that they are correctly marked as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Where markings are found to be incorrect, the Classification Society issuing the ships statutory certification and the Flag Administration are advised. The manufacturers are also to be contacted in order to arrange for the defect to be rectified.
- To ensure that clear operating instructions as required by paragraph 18.104.22.168.11 of the LSA Code are provided within the lifeboats for the actual on load release systems installed on the lifeboat.
- The Bahamas Maritime Authority Technical Alert No. 16-38 dated 19 August 2016.
- HLB (Hyundai Lifeboats) Investigation Report.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person.
While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.