- Maritime Administration of Cook Islands has issued Circular No. 176/2018, dated 1st ct to Magnetic Compass Adjustment and preparation of Deviation Table.June 2018 (copy attached) providing Administration’s requirements with respe
- The Administration requires that the Deviation cards are be reviewed every two years.
- In addition, magnetic compasses are to be adjusted when:
- They are first installed;
- They become unreliable;
- The ship undergoes structural repairs or alterations that could affect its permanent and induced magnetism;
- Electrical or magnetic equipment close to the compass is added, removed or altered; or
- The recorded deviations are excessive out of “acceptable tolerance” (+/- 50) or when the compass shows physical defects.
- The adjustments of the magnetic compass is to be carried out only by certified magnetic compass adjusters and cannot be carried out by Cook Islands Flag surveyors.
- Owners/ operators and masters of Cook Islands flagged vessels are advised to be guided by above.
- Maritime Cook Islands Circular No. 176/2018
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.