- Recognizing the burden arising from the use of traditional paper versions of MARPOL record book; Transport Malta has accepted the use of electronic record books (e-RBs) as an alternative substitute on Malta flagged vessels and has issued Technical Notice MARPOL.7 providing administration’s requirements on use of e-RBs.
- IMO guidance for the use of electronic record books under MARPOL has not entered into force yet, hence, approvals of such e-RBs will be considered by Administration upon entry into force of IMO guidance.
- The vessels utilizing the e-RBs on board are still required to maintain printed version of all applicable entries with pages sequentially numbered and each entry physically signed by the officer in charge of the operations with each completed page physically signed by the Master. These printed copies will be considered as official RB of the vessel and is to be made available for examination when requested by flag state and port state control inspectors.
- The printed version not to have any handwritten addition or correction that is not reflected in the e-RB. If revision of any entry is required after printing, it is to be done in the e-RB and all applicable pages are to be reprinted.
- Printed pages of entries from e-RBs are required to be in the format specified in the relevant Annex to the MARPOL convention together with Printed version of following:
- Annex I, appendix III- Form of Oil Record Book (ORB) ‘Introduction’, ‘List of items to be recorded (Part I)’, ‘List of items to be recorded (Part II)’ and ‘Plan View of Cargo and Slop Tanks’
- Annex II, Appendix II- Form of Cargo Record Book (CRB) ‘Introduction’, ‘List of items to be recorded’ and ‘Plan view of Cargo and Slop Tanks’
- Annex V, Appendix II- Form of Garbage Record Book (GRB) ‘Introduction’, Part I & II (as applicable), Garbage and garbage management, Description and entries to be made in the GRB
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Transport Malta Technical Notice MARPOL.7 dated 15 June 2018
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.