- The Directorate General of Shipping, GOI, has issued Engineering Circular No. 02A of 2016 (copy attached) which is an addendum to Engineering Circular No. 02 of 2016 dated 06 December 2016.
- The circular provides revised guidance and instructions towards compliance to D-2 discharge standard of Ballast Water Management Convention and instructions regarding re-harmonization of IOPP renewal survey.
- The new implementation schedule for compliance with the D-2 discharge standard is as follows:
- New ships constructed on or after 8 September 2017 shall comply with D-2 discharge standard on delivery.
- Existing ships (constructed prior 8 September 2017) shall comply with the D-2 discharge standard as under:
- By the first IOPP renewal survey: this applies when the first renewal survey of the ship takes place on or after 8 September 2019; or
- By the first IOPP renewal survey after 8 September 2017: this applies when a renewal survey has been completed on or after 8 September 2014 but prior to 8 September 2017.
- By the second IOPP renewal survey after 8 September 2017: this applies if the first renewal survey after 8 September 2017 takes place before 8 September 2019. In this case, compliance must be by the second renewal survey (provided that the previous renewal survey has not been completed in the period between 8 September 2014 and 8 September 2017).
- An existing ship to which the IOPP renewal survey under MARPOL Annex I does not apply shall meet the D-2 discharge standard not later than 8 September 2024.
- DGS has advised that those ships that have decoupled their International Oil Pollution Prevention (IOPP) renewal survey from Harmonized System of Survey and Certification (HSSC) regime, after the issuance of Engineering Circular No. 02 of 2016 dated 06 December 2016, may re-couple the IOPP renewal survey with HSSC regime and thus reinstate the IOPP Certificate to its original status.
- Consequently, the IOPP renewal surveys which were conducted on/after 06 December 2016 for de-coupling may be treated as additional/annual/intermediate survey by the Recognized Organization, as appropriate.
Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- DGS Engineering Circular No. 02A of 2016 dated 08 August 2017.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.