- A concentrated inspection campaign (CIC) on safety of auxiliary machinery and related systems will be initiated by the member Authorities of the Vina del Mar (South and Central America) Memorandum of Understanding on Port State Control.
- The inspection campaign will be held for three (3) months, commencing from 1st June 2018 and ending on 31st August 2018.
- The purpose of the CIC is to verify the safety aspects of auxiliary machinery, using, during routine Port State Control (PSC) inspection, a questionnaire listing amongst others, selected areas to be covered under the inspection, including but not limited to the operation and maintenance of auxiliary engines, auxiliary equipment and their related alarm systems and the familiarity of the crew with the safety and emergency procedures with respect to these systems.
- Deficiencies found during the inspection will be recorded by the PSC officer and actions may vary from recording a deficiency and instructing the master to rectify it within a certain period, to detaining the ship until serious deficiencies have been rectified.
- Accordingly Owners and managers of the Shipping Companies are advised that the ship’s Master and Chief Engineers are communicated to ensure that;
- Emergency operations of auxiliary engines as required by SOLAS Ch II-1/Reg. 31 is carried out and record for same is available onboard.
- Emergency Steering drill is conducted as required and record for same is maintained; and
- Bilge pumping arrangement is in good working condition;
- Emergency sources of power and emergency lighting are in satisfactory condition;
- Main and/or Auxiliary Boilers and Boiler Feed Systems are in safe working condition;
- Engine Room and bilges are maintained clean;
- Essential auxiliary machineries are in satisfactory operational condition;
- Protective arrangements for machineries are in place to minimize danger to persons with regard to moving parts, hot surfaces, electrical shock and other hazards;
- Oil Mist Detectors and/or any other automatic shut-off arrangements for the auxiliary engines are in satisfactory working condition;
- Documentary evidence of fitness for ships operating with periodically unattended machinery spaces are available onboard;
- Operating Instructions and manuals for ship’s machinery essential for safe operation are available on board and written in a language understood by the ship’s personnel;
Questionnaire for CIC
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.