- The International Maritime Organization (IMO) subcommittee on Navigation, Communications and Search and Rescue (NCSR) has accepted the IHO proposal to give all ship owners using ECDIS more time to be able to obtain the correct software updates to the new IHO S52 presentation library and has extended the transition period for software updates to existing ECDIS for one year to 31 August 2017.
- This extension means the current IHO Presentation Library edition 3.4 in use on existing ECDIS will remain valid until 31 August 2017. From 01 September 2017, all vessels will be expected to have upgraded their ECDIS software to the IHO Presentation Library edition 4.0 in order to remain compliant.
- The latest IHO Presentation Library (version 4.0) addresses the issue of frequent audible alarms by ECDIS. By providing clear guidance to ECDIS manufacturers on ENC objects that will raise an alarm, the IHO has tackled the issue of alarm fatigue on the bridge. Also, information such as fairway and anchorage area names now appear on screen, with landmarks, lights and buoys viewable via a ‘hover-over’ function.
- Ship owners / managers are advised to contact their ECDIS manufacturer to start the transition to the updated ECDIS Standards, in order to ensure a smooth switchover.
- The upgrade requirements will vary between different ECDIS makes and models, so it is important that owners / managers work together with their ECDIS manufacturers to identify the steps that need to be taken for all ECDIS systems across their fleet.