- DG shipping has issued NT/EXAM. Circular No. 02 of 2018 providing information on new training and certification requirements for Masters, Chief Mates and officer in charge of navigational watch on ships operating in polar waters which were introduced through amendments to STCW convention and code
- The amendments will enter into force from 01 July 2018 and following new certificates are required to be carried only if the vessel is operating in polar waters as defined in Ch. XIV of SOLAS:
- Certificate of Proficiency (COP) in Basic training for ships operating in polar waters
- Certificate of Proficiency (COP) in Advanced training for ships operating in polar waters
- The amendments include transitional provisions which allows seafarers who began their approved seagoing service in Polar or equivalent waters between 01 July 2013 and 1 July 2018 with at least 3 months in total sea service as a member of the deck watch to meet the basic training or advanced training requirements by 1 July 2020.
- The seafarers mentioned above may apply for certificate of proficiency in basic or advance training for ships operating in polar waters without undergoing the course.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- DGS circular NT/EXAM circular no. 02 of 2018.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.