- International Maritime Organisation (IMO) in recognition of the need for standards which provide an alternative to the International Code for the Construction and Equipment of Ships Carrying Dangerous Chemicals in Bulk (IBC Code) and the International Code for the Construction and Equipment of Ships Carrying Liquefied Gases in Bulk (IGC Code) for Offshore Support Vessels (OSV Vessels), has developed “Code for the Transport and Handling of Hazardous and Noxious Liquid Substances in Bulk on Offshore Support Vessels (OSV Chemical Code)” vide Resolution A.1122(30) which supersedes Resolution A.673(16).
- The Code covers the design, construction and operation of offshore support vessels which transport hazardous and noxious liquid substances in bulk for the servicing and resupplying of offshore platforms, mobile offshore drilling units and other offshore installations, including those employed in the search for and recovery of hydrocarbons from the sea-bed.
- Directorate General of Shipping, GOI, vide Engineering Circular No. 3 of 2018, dated 03 August 2018 (copy attached) has advised implementation of OSV Chemical Code on Indian flagged vessels with immediate effect.
- The requirements of OSV Chemical Code applies to –
a. OSVs, the keel of which are laid on or after 1 July 2018, or which are at the stage where:
- Construction identifiable with the vessel begins; and
- Assembly has commenced comprising at least 50 tons or 1% of the estimated mass of all structural material, whichever is less.
b. Existing OSVs, the keel of which were laid or which were at a similar stage of construction on or after 19 April 1990 but before 1 July 2018 are permitted to carry products as assigned for carriage on a type 2 ship in the IBC Code, provided that these OSVs comply with the OSV Chemical Code, except for the amended stability provisions in chapter 2 of the OSV Chemical Code.
- The first onboard initial survey and certification as per the provisions of OSV Chemical Code for existing ships is to be carried out at the next Annual/ Intermediate /Renewal – Safety Construction survey falling due after 1 September 2018 and the validity of the certificate of fitness issued under OSV Chemical Code will be aligned with the validity of Safety Construction Certificate in order to maintain harmonized survey system.
- Owners and managers of existing offshore support vessels and intending to carry products as assigned for carriage on a type 2 ship in the IBC Code, may contact IRS Plan Approval Center in advance for necessary verification/ approval of plans in this regard so that subsequent on board survey as above can be undertaken for implementation of OSV Chemical Code.
- Owners and managers of offshore support vessels are advised to be guided by above and the attached DGS Engineering Circular No. 03 of 2018.
- DGS Engineering Circular 03 of 2018, dated 03 August 2018.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.