- The Liberian Administration has permitted the use of approved electronic oil record book (e-ORB) as an alternative substitute of the traditional paper ORB and has issued Marine Notice POL-012, Rev.10/17 providing implementation guidance on the use of e-ORB onboard Liberian flagged Vessels.
- Currently only the Liberian Registry’s own e-ORB has been approved for use on Liberian flagged vessels.
- Basic procedure for use of Liberian Registry’s electronic oil record books on Liberian vessels is as follows:
- When the order is fulfilled and e-ORB software received onboard, same is to be installed by senior officer of the crew, maker’s technician or other authorized party.
- To receive the product license key, the fingerprint file to be send at firstname.lastname@example.org. The license key will be provided via email.
- After receiving the vessel license key and completing software installation, the vessel can apply for ‘Declaration of MARPOL Electronic Record Book’ by emailing email@example.com with the details like name of the ship, the date when software was installed, name of the installer and the version of software installed onboard.
- ‘Declaration of MARPOL Electronic Record Book’ will be provided to the vessel as a proof of conformance with flag requirements.
- After receiving ‘Declaration of MARPOL Electronic Record Book’ from Liberian Administration, the printed versions of the e-ORB can be officially used onboard.
- Declaration of MARPOL Electronic Record Book is to be carried onboard vessel following initial installation and annually thereafter. The latest version of approved e-ORB software, provided through annual maintenance and support upgrades, must be installed.
- For the implementation of the use of e-ORB on Liberian flagged vessels, the Administration has determined a transitional period until the amendments to MARPOL annex-I to include the use of e-ORB enter into force which is expected to be in 2019.
- During the transitional period vessels utilizing the e-ORB on board are required to maintain printed version of all applicable ORB Part I and/or II in separate binders which will be served as official ORB of the vessel during transitional period.
- Binders shall contain a printed version of the following and is to be made available for examination when requested by Liberian flag State inspectors and port State control:
a. For ORB Part I – Machinery space operations:
MARPOL Annex I, Appendix III - Form of Oil Record Book, including vessel details, period (dates) covered “from” “to”, Introduction and List of Items to be Recorded; and
b. For ORB Part II – Cargo/ballast operations:
MARPOL Annex I, Appendix III - Form of Oil Record Book, including vessel details, period (dates) covered “from” “to”, Plan View of Cargo and Slops Tanks, Introduction and List of Items to be recorded.
- Printed pages of entries from e-ORB are to be in the format specified in the relevant ORB Part I or ORB Part II in sequentially numbered, physically signed by the officer in charge of the operations with each completed page physically signed and dated by the Master.
- The printed version should not to have any handwritten addition or correction that is not reflected in the e-ORB. If revision of an entry is required after printing, it shall be done in the e-ORB and all applicable pages to be reprinted.
- The first entry in the e-ORB and thus the first page printed from the e-ORB should indicate a date after the date indicated on the Liberian Administration issued ‘Declaration of MARPOL Electronic Record Book’.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Liberia Maritime Authority Marine notice POL-012 Rev. 10/17 reg. Electronic Oil Record Books – MARPOL Annex I.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.