- Malaysian flag administration has issued a Malaysia Shipping Notice MSN 03/2017 (copy attached) regarding the enforcement of the International Convention for the Control and Management of Ship’s Ballast Water and Sediments, 2004 (BWM2004).
- BWM convention will come into force from 08th September 2017 and will be applicable for all Malaysian Ship and Foreign flagged ships while in Malaysian water with 400GT and above, designed to carry ballast water.
- After 08 September 2017, vessels are required to have following onboard:
- Approved Ballast Water Management Plan
- Ballast water record book
- Ballast water treatment system type approval certificate (if fitted).
- International Ballast Water Management Certificate
- New built ships on or after the enforcement date are required to be equipped with approved Ballast Water Management System (Regulation D-2).
- Existing ships to comply with requirement of Regulation D-2 (fitment of approved Ballast water management system) on first renewal survey of IOPP certificate after 08 September 2017; till then vessels are required to comply with regulation D-1 of the Convention.
- In order to allow more time for fitting of Ballast Water management system, Malaysian administration has agreed to decouple the IOPP renewal survey from Harmonized Survey and Certification Scheme.
- Ship owners and/or operators intend to prepone the IOPP renewal survey has to forward their application to “Malaysian Marine Department” prior 08 September 2017.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above
- Malaysia Shipping Notice MSN 03/2017 reg. enforcement of BWM Convention.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person.
While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.