- International Association of Classification Societies (IACS) has issued the attached publication which intends to provide the shipping community with guidance and information on the loading and discharging of bulk carriers to remain within the limitations as specified by the Classification Society to reduce the likelihood of over-stressing the ship's structure.
- The loads that affect the ship's structure are generally discussed with special reference to the structural strength limitations imposed by the ship's Classification Society.
- The process of planning and controlling cargo operations is addressed with special reference to the derivation of the loading and unloading plans and the requirements for ship/shore communication.
- A review of the potential problems that could be encountered during cargo operations is presented. Guidance is given on the measures that should be taken to monitor and control cargo and ballasting operations in order to reduce the possibility of over-stressing the ship's structure.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by attached IACS publication.
- IACS Guidance and Information on Bulk Cargo Loading and Discharging to reduce the Likelihood of Over-stressing the Hull Structure
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.