- Malta Maritime Administration has issued Technical Notice MARPOL.6, dated 24 January 2018 (copy attached) reminding all concerned regarding the entry into force on 1 March 2018 of the latest amendments to MARPOL Annex V adopted through Resolution MEPC. 277(70).
- By 1 March 2018, vessels are required to implement the changes associated with the handling procedures, management and record keeping of garbage onboard.Theseincludes;
- Solid bulk cargoes other than grain is required to be classified in accordance with Appendix I of MEPC. 277(70), and to be declared by the shipper as to whether or not they are Harmful to the Marine Environment (HME).
- Amended form of Garbage Record Book is to be kept on board and entries to be made in the amended form. The new form of Garbage Record Book is divided into Part I and Part II. Part I of Garbage Record Book is applicable to all ships, while Part II is required only for ships carrying solid bulk cargoes.
- A new category – “E-waste” is added under part I, which includes garbage such as electronic cards, gadgets, instruments, equipment, computers, printer cartridges, etc.
- Garbage is to be handled taking into account amended garbage category.
- Ship-owners / managers are encouraged to order new format Garbage Record Books at the earliest opportunity to ensure that the correct form is on board and to voluntarily use the new format prior to 1 March 2018.
- The Malta Administration has no objection to the use of Garbage Record Books issued by suppliers and other Administrations, provided they are in the format specified in MARPOL Annex V. Appendix I, as amended.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Malta – Technical Notice MARPOL.6, dated 24 January 2018
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.