1. Cargo ships other than bulk carriers may be exempted from the requirements of carriage of Immersion Suits as per SOLAS 74 Chapter III Regulation 32.3.2 when such ships are constantly engaged on voyages within “warm climates”.
Following sea areas are considered as voyages within warm climates.
a. The sea area between the parallels of latitude 30 deg North and 30 deg South;
b. The sea area of the Mediterranean Sea south of latitude 35 deg North;
c. The sea area within 20 nautical miles from the coasts of Africa not included in the sea areas above.
2. Notice provides Administration’s requirements on additional immersion suits of an appropriate size needed at all watch and work stations which are located remotely from the place(s) where immersion suits are normally stowed.
3. Administration has provided inspection requirements in case of vacuum packed immersion suits onboard.
4. It is to be ensured that air tight packaging is inspected on monthly basis with manufacturer’s recommendations.
5. If any defects found during inspection, suit is to be removed from its vacuumed package and inspection is carried out as per MSC/Circ.1047. In case this inspection of unpacked immersion suit reveals defective vacuum pack; 25% of the vacuum packed immersion suits onboard are to be unpacked and tested in accordance with MSC/Circ.1047.
6. It is to be ensured that periodic testing of the immersion suits, including vacuum packed immersion suits and anti-exposure suits as per MSC/Circ.1114 is carried out at intervals not exceeding three years or annually for the suits over 10 years of age at approved service station.
7. During survey, vacuum packed immersion suits may be opened up for inspection in case defect or damages are noticed to either airtight packaging or the immersion suit.
8. Administration requires a sufficient number of immersion suits packed in bags similar to vacuum packed immersion suits, are made available and clearly marked for drill and training purposes. The number of such suits is to be included in the Ship’s Management System and/or Safety Inventory.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.