- The Republic of Marshall Islands has issued Marine Safety Advisory No. 05-17 (copy attached) reg “Compliance for revised VHF and GMDSS HF NBDP channelling requirements”. This advisory supersedes MSA # 41-16.
- The International Maritime Organization (IMO) with the intention of avoiding any unnecessary updates of HF radio communication equipment that is already capable of operating NBDP, has pushed back the compliance date for ensuring GMDSS communication capability to 01 January 2024.
- Accordingly the Administration require Owners and Masters of vessels equipped with HF NBDP equipment to ensure that it is HF direct-printing telegraphy compliant in time for the first radio survey after 01 January 2024.
- While the IMO has postponed the implementation of NBDP changes for HF, the IMO did not postpone the implementation of NBDP changes for VHF.
- However, as it is not known if and when ports will also upgrade to be able to communicate with ships that have undertaken these changes, the Administration does not yet require VHF systems to be upgraded.
- More information about updating of VHF will be clear after NCSR meeting (Subcommittee on Navigation, communication, and Search and Rescue) scheduled for 06-10 March 2017.
- Ship owners / operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Marshall Islands Marine Safety Advisory No. 05-17.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person.
While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.