- Panama Maritime Authority (PMA) has provided information vide merchant marine circular MMC-363 reg. interim guidance on maritime security in the Southern Red Sea and Bab al-Mandeb published by International Chamber of Shipping, BIMCO and INTERTANKO.
- The interim guidance is published in response to the conflict in Yemen and development of maritime threats beyond piracy. These threats may come from a variety of different sources such as missiles, projectiles, sea mines or waterborne improvised explosive devices.
- The vessels in the region of the Southern Red Sea and Bab al-Mandeb are required to operate under a heightened state of alert as increasing tensions in the region escalate the potential for direct or collateral damage to vessels transiting/operating in the region.
- Company Security officers and Masters are advised to remain cautious and continued application of latest edition of BMP4 ship protection measures and conduct threat assessment when transiting through the Southern Red Sea and the Bab al-Mandeb.
- The ships are required to register with Maritime Security Centre Horn of Africa (MSCHOA) and report to United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) to ensure that the military is aware of ship’s presence in the region and to give the ship access to information and support from military forces in the region.
- Maritime Security Transit Corridor (MSTC) is a military established corridor upon which naval forces focus their presence and surveillance efforts. To gain maximum benefit from military presence and surveillance, use MSTC is strongly recommended.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to take note of above and ensure that crew is familiarized with all the recommendations given in interim guidance and BMP4.
- Also the Administration requires that crew relatives are communicated and provided with the contact on different organizations before the ship transits through these regions.
- Panama Merchant Marine Circular No. 363
- Interim Guidance on Maritime Security in the Southern Red Sea and Bab al-Mandeb
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.