- Reference is made to our Technical Circular No. 060/2017, dated 10th May 2017 whereby Liberian Flag Administration had informed that Administration itself will carry out approval of BWM Plan and issue certificates for vessels implementing the D-1 Standard of the Ballast Water Management Convention (BWMC).
- The Liberia Maritime Authority has now issued Marine Operations Note 01/2018, dated 31 January 2018 (copy attached) clarifying that subsequent surveys (Annual, Intermediate and Renewal surveys) for Ballast Water Management Convention for vessels implementing D-1 Standard will be undertaken by the Flag Administration only. These surveys have not been delegated to any Recognized Organization.
- The Administration auditors will conduct the above surveys during the Annual Safety Inspection (ASI) and/or ISM/ISPS/MLC audit/ inspection.
- The Administration will consider advancing or extending the date of the ASI to harmonize it with the applicable survey for ballast water management.
- Owners and operators of vessels flying the Liberian flag are advised to be guided by above and accordingly contact the Administration’s Technical Department at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on scheduling the surveys related to BWMC.
- However, please note that survey and certification for Ballast Water Management System (BWMS) to D-2 Standard will continue to be carried out by Recognized Organizations.
Ship owners/ operators and masters of vessels flying Liberian flag are advised to be guided by above.
- Liberia Marine Operations Note 01/2018
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.