- IMO Resolution MSC.409(97) replaces last sentence of SOLAS Ch. II-2/ Reg. 10.5.1.2.2 which reads as follows:
“In the case of domestic boilers of less than 175 kW, or boilers protected by fixed waterbased local application fire-extinguishing systems as required by paragraph 5.6, an approved foam-type extinguisher of at least 135 l capacity is not required.”
- Above amendment will enter into force from 1 January 2020 and applies to ships constructed on or after 1 January 2020 and to existing ships constructed before 1 January 2020, including those constructed before 1 July 2012.
- Based on IMO circular MSC.1/Circ.1566, Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI) has approved voluntary early implementation of above requirement from 15 November 2017 until the amendment enters into force (1 January 2020) vide Marine Guideline No.2-11-17 published in May/2018.
- In case vessel has implemented such provision prior to 1 January 2020, a copy of this RMI Marine Guideline is required to be kept on board with the ship’s documents to show the authorized application of this Regulation.
- Ship owners/ operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- Republic of Marshall Islands Marine Guideline no. 2-11-17
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.